Monday, January 5, 2009

Al grown-up, or maybe not quite yet…


I’m almost teary eyed sitting at my desk, I don’t know why Summer holidays should ever end. I had a great time doing absolutely nothing the past 3 weeks. I realized that when I get back to the real world I will hardly have time to breath, so I had to do nothing as much as I could. Okay, maybe I didn’t do absolutely nothing, but pretty damn close. My holiday was divided into 3 different parts. Durban for the first week, Knysna for the second week and Jeffrey bay for the last week. I’m gonna have to split it up in different posts, I just love to talk and I’ll start at the end because it was the best part and I did promise some unsober kissing of frogs.


Jeffrey’s Bay

I had a lot of tension headaches the entire holiday, well considering Superwoman’s divorce and the Step family, it’s only natural. So the day before I went to J-bay. I went on happy pills, I conned them out of the pharmacist cause you need a prescription and I didn’t have one. I’ve never felt better. It only has a calming effect, which was perfect. “Ek was so kalm soos ‘n dagga walm”
J-bay was without any doubt the best part of my holiday. I went to visit the Confidant, she moved to J-bay. What better way to go into the New Year as with one of your BBF by your side!
I had a great time new years, it would have been better if I didn’t have to pee so badly. I couldn’t find a loo or a private place, so I concentrated all the way into the New Year. I got soaked in champagne, we were on the beach (some more water) and it felt like everyone was pouring drinks, my eyes started watering as I stood crossed legged ducking and diving for the drunk people with fireworks. If people can’t drink and drive then they should definitely not be allowed to light fireworks. As I stood there trying to think about anything except having to pee. I noticed how many girls were abundantly drunk and kissing anything remotely resembling a boy. I think if they actually knew who they kissed the previous night they’d be quite nauseous the next day, well I do anticipate they were quite nauseous cause some of them didn’t even realize they had finished drinking their champagne and was desperately sucking on empty champagne bottles.
This is when it hit me, maybe just maybe I’m all grown up now. A couple of years back it was me kissing random frogs on the beach, but I was considerably more sober and the frogs where chosen on looks. I had gone an entire beach holiday without one unsober kissing of a frog. I was so proud of myself, I’m an absolute sucker for a good kiss and I stood strong. And then… the sea breeze sneaked up on me. Unknowingly I took in a deep breath while having an ice cold beer on the deck of the Confidants apartment on my last day in J-bay. You should know that the sea breeze has a terrible effect on my hormones… it makes them crazy. I don’t think there is any logical reason for this, normally it gets me early on when I’m at the coast and doesn’t leave me until I have to leave the coast to save the little bit that is left of my reputation. But the sneaky bastard just waited until I thought I was safe. We were sitting at a table with the Engineer (who has a thing for the Confidant), the Accountant and Sleepy, then I saw him… The next candidate for “Boek soek ‘n Vrou” (Farmer looking for a wife – Popular SA TV program). My ovaries started clapping hands at this perfect specimen for making children. (Please do note: I have no intention of having children or a husband at this current stage of my life, but If I was planning on having children, I’d get his sperm). What I have neglected to say is that I know this frog, better than I probably should. I met him last year at my favorite men’s residence on Campus in a very unsober state. This led to a very public, very embarrassing display of affection. I normally refrain myself from having that much fun kissing in public, but seeing that I’d gotten myself into an euphorically drunk state, I didn’t mind that much. And there he was again, in all his shy adorable glory! I had to speak to him. Faking a pee, I went in search of Best Guy Friend, cause he knew the people who were chatting to the Farmer (I normally don’t date Farmers, but there are exceptions). There, I have my cue. I started chatting to him, he looked uncomfortable. Seeing as I had managed to drink myself out of all tact, I asked him why he looked so uncomfortable. Looking down shyly, he said it’s because I’m so pretty (I didn’t believe a word of it, seeing charmer all over the compliment) but when he said it my knees went weak and my hormones went wild! We made some polite conversation and then he had to leave (the clubs close at 2am in J-bay, what the fuck?). I walked with him down the stairs, with the sea breeze urging me on, we had one glorious, much too short kiss on the stairs. We decided to meet after he had dropped of the guys, unfortunately it didn’t happen. Now any responsible grown-up woman would have gone to bed, but the sea breeze had other plans for me. So me and the Confidant took a doggy bag and took the Engineer, Accountant (who wasn’t boring in the least!) and Sleepy home. Feeling very sorry for myself for not seeing the Farmer again, I started indulging in some red wine. This normally kills all inhibitions for me, but this time it gave me verbal diarrhea. I just couldn’t seem to shut-up. Happy pills working again. As I said, I drank myself out of any tact I might have had. I was just loving myself and playing entertainer to the crowd, who occasionally dozed off. Not that that stopped me or bothered me in the least. Luckily the Accountant found me absolutely mesmerizing and drank in every single word I said. Eventually I fell asleep in his arms, a nice looking frog I might say, very nice but it doesn’t beat having a boyfriend’s arms around you. My Dad came to pick me up about an hour later and I spent an agonizing 10 hours in a car back to the Free State. I almost died.

Well, maybe I’m not as grown-up and responsible as I’d thought, but I had one hell of a time being young and carefree and now I’m not planning to be completely grown-up just yet.

No comments: